Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Marketing Manager. This position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience in a performing arts organization, or comparable experience. The ideal candidate will have a background in: a) subscription and single ticket marketing; b) sales reporting and analysis; and c) Tessitura or a similar ticketing/CRM system. With over 15,000 Subscribers and various package types from traditional subscription packages (Steppenwolf “classic membership”) to Flexible memberships (“Black Card” and “RED”), this position drives conversation about the evolution of Steppenwolf’s Subscription offerings and package alternatives and executes our year-round membership campaigns. The Marketing Manager leads our data reporting & analysis for sales and audience trends and acts asthe Marketing Department Tessitura “expert” staying on top of industry trends, identifying new opportunities for use of the CRM, and arranging internal trainings as needed. Experience with JCA’s Revenue Management Application (RMA) a plus. The Marketing Manager reports to the Senior Marketing Director, supervises the efforts of a Marketing Apprentice, and co-supervises the Audience Outreach Sales Manager.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
Reporting & Analysis
Membership campaign promotion strategy & execution
Single ticket and other campaign management
Direct Mail Strategies
- Build extractions & lists for segmented and targeted patron communications
- Pull patron analytics
- Serve on the internal cross-departmental Tessitura task force and coordinate with database administrator to capitalize on customization opportunities
Reporting & Analysis
- Track and disseminate accurate and up-to-date attendance and ticket sales data. Current reports include daily sales emails, weekly cumulative sales emails, attendance reports, sales curves, etc.
- Provide analysis and recommendations on revenue goals, sales benchmarks, and forecasting
- Provide analysis on institutional trends & initiatives (includes patron retention, ROI, demographic research, etc.) and assist other departments on reporting needs; support web, email and e-commerce analysis as needed
- Active member of an internal pricing and inventory management team, currently working with JCA Arts marketing
- Assist on research projects (examples include our currently Black Card and Gen-X research as part of The Wallace Foundation’s Building Audiences for Sustainability Initiative)
Membership Campaign Promotion Strategy & Execution
- Coordinate, plan and execute year-round marketing campaigns for all areas of subscription/membership (acquisition, renewal, flex, etc.)
- Develop multi-channel messaging, including copywriting and content direction for direct mailers, emails, website, events, audience services talking points, etc.
- Drive conversation and innovation around the evolution of Steppenwolf’s multi-play packages and patron loyalty programs
- Active planning member of the annual Season Preview event and other member events
- Point-person with external consultant Elliott Marketing and close collaborator with members of the Audience Services team in developing and executing member communications
- Audience Outreach (call center): co-supervise the Audience Outreach Sales Manager, guiding call-center strategy for membership campaigns. (The call center’s work supports both development and marketing; this position co-supervises with a member of the development department staff)
Single Ticket and other Campaign Management
- Coordinate, plan and execute marketing campaigns for 2-3 Main Series productions each season. Monitor sales and execute efforts to fill houses and meet single ticket revenue goals. Develop multi-channel messaging, including copywriting and content direction for direct mailers, emails, website, events, audience services talking points, etc.
- Coordinate, plan and execute the marketing campaign for annual Holiday Night Out Gift Card package
Direct Mail Strategies
- List trade management and list research
- Research and analysis on response from individual segments, ROI, etc.
- Hiring and supervision of marketing apprentice and summer marketing intern
- This position provides general support to the department on an ongoing basis. That assistance may include assisting on departmental archives; scheduling meetings; and other assigned tasks as needed.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
Salary range: $40,000 - $45,000with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, pre-tax Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.