Requisition Number: JR03386
Division / Dept. / Unit: Collections & Access / Access Services / Regenstein
Reports to: Head of Collection Management & Circulation
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week; Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Occasional weekends and evening shifts required.
Under the direction of the Head of Collection Management & Circulation, the Head of Regenstein Circulation & Building Resources is responsible for planning and supervising circulation and entry control operations at the Joseph Regenstein Library, which includes lending of materials from circulating collections, course reserves, and Interlibrary Loan, as well as ensuring building security and providing controlled access to the building on a 24-hour/365-day-per-year basis. Responsible for interpreting and enforcing Library policies to maintain a scholarly environment throughout the Joseph Regenstein Library. Provides and promotes excellent customer service to Library patrons across all areas of responsibility. Provides leadership and oversight of two busy service points with extensive operating hours in the largest and most heavily used library on campus.
Staff Management (30%):
- Supervises 2.25 FTE circulation supervisors, 2.0 FTE union clerical circulation staff, up to 6.0 FTE circulation student assistants, and 6.0 union clerical entry control staff.
- Oversees hiring, training, and scheduling of circulation and entry control staff.
- Approves or oversees the approval of staff time records.
- Establishes work priorities, performance goals, and standards for staff; provides regular coaching and annual performance evaluations.
- Provides a fair and balanced approach to work and work rules; exhibits sensitivity and discretion in working with staff.
- Ensures a departmental climate that offers Library clients efficient, accurate, and courteous service.
- Communicates goals for Department/Division/Library to staff; communicates policies and departmental guidelines, plans and procedures to staff. Brings potential problems to the attention of the appropriate person and/or the Library Human Resources Office.
- Ensures appropriate staff coverage of both the circulation and entry control desks during all hours of operation.
- Works with Allied Universal to provide staffing for daily building sweeps at closing, all night study during the academic quarter, and to cover gaps in entry control coverage as needed.
- In the absence of a supervisor on duty, addresses emergencies that prevent staff from covering their shifts.
Operations Management (25%):
- Oversees, distributes, and monitors work and ensures routine tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Oversees circulation and renewal of circulating materials, including general collections, course reserve material, and Interlibrary Loan materials.
- Oversees entry control as supervisor in charge when on duty.
- Oversees collection of fines and fees, processing of replacement copies, issuance of refunds, and daily balancing of cash collected at Regenstein Circulation.
- Oversees lost & found for building; ensures patrons are contacted in a timely manner when possible.
- Oversees daily use of various work-related systems as they relate to the unit (including circulation and entry control systems), provides initial troubleshooting of problems, and reports issues to appropriate staff.
- Provides support for use of Library spaces, including event spaces, as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with other Library and University units, in particular with Document Delivery, Collection Management, Mansueto Circulation, Reference, Library & University Facilities, the ID & Privileges Office, and TechBar to ensure superior service to library patrons.
- Performs related duties as assigned or necessary to insure maximum service to patrons and efficient operations of the department.
Customer Service and Communication (25%):
- Works closely with all staff to ensure consistent, excellent customer service in person, via telephone, and via email.
- Oversees staff responses to patron inquiries and appeals concerning overdue items, fines, and related issues, including patrons reported to collections agencies. Explains and interprets circulation policies to patrons. Resolves the most difficult problems or refers them to other staff as appropriate.
- Interprets and enforces Library policies for maintaining a scholarly environment. Provides initial response to inquiries or reports of problems with building or security, including routine maintenance requests and building emergencies, when on duty. Contacts other staff, campus police, etc. as appropriate.
- Documents and updates departmental procedures.
- Attends Library staff meetings as appropriate, including monthly Staff Meeting and Access Committee Meeting.
- Under the direction of the Head of Collection Management & Circulation, works to shape circulation and building security policies and ensure consistent practices and policies across the Library.
- In consultation with the Head of Collection Management & Circulation, recommends new services, systems, or workflows to benefit Library users and promote efficient service.
- Works with the Head of Collection Management & Circulation, Library systems staff, and others as appropriate to evaluate, choose, implement, configure, and test systems related to circulation and entry control.
- Compiles regular and special statistical reports; reviews operations and makes recommendations for improvements in service to patrons and working conditions for staff; estimates needs in terms of staff, equipment, etc., and provides justification. Conducts special studies as required; sets up and exercises quality and quantity controls for the section.
- In consultation with the Head of Collection Management, analyzes use data to identify trends and to make recommendations for improvements in service, staffing levels, and service hours.
- Writes an annual report summarizing the work of various sections within the unit.